"Good luck" is a common expression used in daily life. When it comes to the Chinese expression of “good luck”, most of you may only know the word “好运(hǎoyùn)”, and some of you may not know it. In fact, there are many more advanced Chinese expressions of “good luck”. Here we’ve compiled eight different ways to express good luck in Chinese. Learn to use them and you will make a deep impression on your Chinese friends.
For more idiomatic expressions in Chinese, check out our Spoken Chinese course, where you can learn various Chinese expressions that you can’t learn from text books.
1. 祝你好运(Zhù nǐ hǎoyùn)
"好运" is the standard translation of good luck in Chinese. So when we wish someone good luck, we usually say "祝你好运". Here "祝你" literally means "I wish you" or "to you" and it can be used together with all the blessing words mentioned in this article. Sometimes we also say good luck as "鸿运(hóng yùn)". Here are some examples:
新的一年里,祝你好运连连。
Good luck to you in the new year.
A: 我要去参加演讲比赛了,有点紧张。
I'm a little nervous about going to the speech contest.
B: 别紧张,要相信自己。祝你好运哦!
Don't be nervous. Believe in yourself. Good luck.
祝你好运,祝地球好运。
Good luck to you. Good luck to the earth.
2. 一路顺风(Yīlù shùnfēng)
顺风(shùnfēng) means downwind, indicating that things go well and there is no hindrance. It is often used together with other words to express good luck in Chinese. "一路顺风" is used to extend good wishes to people travelling long distances and to express the hope that he or she will have a safe journey. There is also another expression with the same meaning, "一路平安(Yīlù píng’ān, bon voyage)". Here are some example dialogues.
A: 过两天我就回国了。
I'll return home in two days.
B: 希望你回去时一路顺风。
I hope you have a nice trip back.
A: 我该去检票口了。谢谢你送我到机场。
I should go to the check-in counter. Thanks for taking me to the airport.
B: 不客气。再见,一路顺风。
You're welcome. Good bye and have a good trip.
3. 一帆风顺(Yīfānfēngshùn)
"一帆风顺" literally means that the ship sails downwind under full sail. Like "一路顺风", "一帆风顺" also indicates that something goes well without hindrance. But it can be used not only to express good wishes for people who leave home and go far away, but also to express good wishes for the future with work, relationship and more.
希望这个项目的发展能够一帆风顺。
I hope the development of this project can be smooth sailing.
愿你这次出行一帆风顺。
I hope your trip is smooth.
祝你的未来一帆风顺。
I wish you every success in the future.
"一切安好" consists of two phrases "一切" and "安好". "一切" means everything or all, and "安好" indicates safe and sound or well. Being safe and healthy is also a kind of good luck in Chinese people's eyes. "一切安好" is the most simple and sincere blessing, which is generally used between family members, loved ones or good friends.
我不求你大富大贵,只要你一切安好。
I don't ask you to be rich. I just want you to be safe and sound.
亲爱的朋友,愿你一切安好。
Dear friend, I hope everything is okay with you.
你一切安好,就是我最大的幸福。
My greatest happiness is that you are safe and sound.
5. 顺利(Shùnlì)
"顺利" is another common Chinese word for luck. It has the same meaning as "顺风". "一切顺利" indicates everything goes well.
祝你一切顺利。
Wish everything goes well for you/All the best to you.
那位母亲生产顺利,母女平安。
That mother had a good birth. She and her daughter are both sound.
祝你工作顺利,步步高升。
I hope your work goes well and you get promoted quickly.
6. 万事如意(Wànshìrúyì)
“万事如意” is an idiom used to wish people good luck in Chinese. “如意” means as one wishes. So the whole idiom can be translated into “everything goes as you wish” in English. It is usually used as a New Year’s greeting.
新的一年里,我祝大家身体健康,万事如意!
In the new year, I wish you all good health and all the best!
7. 马到成功(Mǎdàochénggōng)
“马到成功” originally means to win battles as soon as the horses arrived, indicating that success is quick and smooth, and it can be translated into “achieve instant success; gain an immediate victory”. It is often used as a blessing for good luck in Chinese.
你们一伙人都很团结,干起事来,肯定马到成功。
You have a very collaborative team, and success will be yours for the asking.
这个任务现在交给你了,祝你马到成功。
This task is yours now. I wish you instant success.
做事情要有好的计划,才能马到成功。
To succeed, you need to have a good plan.
8. 心想事成(Xīnxiǎng shìchéng)
“心想事成” means whatever you want in your heart can be achieved successfully. It is similar to “万事如意”.
祝愿你新的一年心想事成!
May all your wishes come true in the new year!
你看过《心想事成》这部电影吗?
Have you ever seen the movie It’s a Wonderful Life?
你这么开心,看来你心想事成了。
You’re so happy. It looks like you got what you wanted.
Final Words
These are eight expressions for good luck in Chinese. They are not that difficult. Try wishing your friends good luck with these words so that you can master them before you know it. If you have any questions or suggestions for us, please leave them in the comments.
Comments